Sunday, December 11, 2011

Life Lesson 111: You can learn from the Elderly

Dear Readers,

Today has been a good day. I got a chance to catch up on some rest now that the semester is over. But I was thinking about what I wanted to write about today. I took a long nap and I woke up thinking about my grandfather, Richard Woods, Sr.. I learned so much from him in terms of how to live and how to treat other people. He is the inspiration behind the Lessons on Church Folk series. I chose to dedicate these books to him because he helped to raise me into the woman that I am today.

I recall him cooking for the family. He could cook anything that he placed his hands on. I was always surprised at how he could make something out of nothing. As a farmer, he always had fresh fruits and vegetables for us to eat. I believe that his healthy lifestyle and faith in God contributed to his long and prosperous life.

In life, there will be people who will walk into your life for a purpose. My grandfather taught me that I could do anything that I set my mind too. He told me to chase my dreams as far as they could go even if no one else had charted that path before me. He also told me to love God and myself before I could succeed in loving anyone else. Please tell your relatives that you love and appreciate them while you can. In the end, it's always better to give them their flowers while they are alive.

I truly miss my Grandfather but I took up my love for photography after he passed. He always took pictures of us and I want to capture those precious moments as well. I think I picked up where he left off. No matter where I am in this life, I will never forget my grandfather and the impact that he has made on my life. Today, make it your business to spend some time with the Elderly members of your family. You can learn so much knowledge from them and they would be more than glad to sit down and tell you about their lives. As they get older, people tend to spend less time with them because they feel that they require too much of their time. Well, I would rather give them my time while they are alive. I do not want to waste time on frivolous things and end up regretting the time that I could have spent with them.

Life is not promised to anyone so spend time with your elderly relatives while they are alive.
                        
In the end, the wisdom and knowledge that you will gain will be priceless gems that you can pass on to someone else. I dedicate this post to the life and memory of my grandfather, Richard Woods, Sr..

No comments:

Post a Comment