Sunday, October 23, 2011

Why did I want to be an author?

Good Morning Readers,

I wanted to take a moment to tell you why I wanted to be an Author. As a child, I enjoyed reading and writing in my classes. During that time, I kept journals on the things that I was experiencing as I was growing up. I would talk about my classes and how people treated me when I was at school. Over time, I realized that I was growing up as I wrote each journal entry. In grade school and in college, I have written many papers. But they were mostly written because they were assignments that had to be submitted for a grade.

But I wanted to do some writing that could be published so that other people could read my writing. So in the summer of 2010, I began writing stories about my educational journey. It seemed like I was writing a whole chapter each day. The more I wrote, the better I felt about publishing my book on day. I knew an author/friend who had published so I asked him questions about the publishing process. As I asked questions, I wondered if people would read my writing. Would they like it? Would they tell other people to buy it? As time went on, the author/friend encouraged me to write so that I could have a manuscript that I would be proud of.

In the Fall of 2010, I began writing small quotes on FaceBook about church folks. I was laughing as I wrote most of the quotes. I seek to find the comedy in life so why can't I find comedy in church? As time went on, I wrote stories to go along with each quote. By April of 2011, I had written 400 quotes and 400 stories. The brain is the most brilliant tool that we have. If you feed your brain daily, it will work at rapid rates when it comes to writing. After that, I sent my work to Mill City Press. They are the best publishers around. They helped me with everything from the front cover, interior information, and the back cover. They gave me creative control over all of my work. The best part is: I get 100% royalties on all of my work.

As the author of Lessons on Church Folk Volume 1 & Volume 2, I can tell you that publishing and marketing is tough. But it is a work that has to be done by a strong person. The best way to sell your product is to remember this statement: My book/books are the best books on the market right now. If you really believe that, you will market your book to any and everyone who will listen to you. Well, I will sign off now. Please stay tuned for future blog entries.

The Author Journey continues........

No comments:

Post a Comment